Gluten-Free Bourbon Joe Brownie Cake
Bourbon Joe sounds like your friend, doesn’t he? Someone who meets you at the bar and says, “Take a load off, honey! What can I get ya’?” In this case, however, Bourbon Joe is a name I made up for some freaking deliciousgluten-free brownies, that actually seem to be more like gluten-free cake. Probably because I only had a 12″ square pan, but still, oh man, YUM. I don’t care what you call them, they are rad.
Sometimes I feel bad when I make treats that the kids can’t have. Then I totally don’t because those little whippersnappers can eat all the gluten they want at birthday parties and wherever they go to get their cupcake on. Also, I’m wondering if you cook alcohol, is it still a thing? Like maybe I’m keeping it away from my kids and I don’t even have to. Still, more for gluten-free me!
So yes, this brownie cake has coffee and bourbon on the inside, which makes them un-freaking-believable. I adapted this from an Irish Coffee brownie recipe, and changed it when I realized they meant Irish whiskey, not Bailey’s Irish Cream. Der. All I had in the whiskey family was bourbon, and it totally worked. ‘Cuz bourbon rules.
Make a pan of these delish bourbon and coffee flavored brownies/cake—I mean, they call it brownies, but it looks like cake, so . . . — and hoard them. You deserve it. Yes, you do!
Gluten-Free Bourbon Joe Brownies and/or Cake
adapted from Confident Kitchen
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes
3/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup bourbon
2 Tablespoons instant coffee crystals
2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon bourbon
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
4 Tablespoons brewed coffee
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat granulated sugar, butter, and 1/2 cup cocoa powder in a large saucepan over medium heat until butter melts, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat lightly just until combined.
3. Stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl; set aside. Stir together milk and 1/4 cup bourbon; stir in coffee crystals. Add gluten-free flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to the chocolate mixture, beating by hand after each addition.
4. Pour into a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan (12″ square will make them more like cake), and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes.
5. While it’s cooling make the glaze: stir together sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon bourbon, and 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla. Stir in 4 tablespoons brewed coffee.
Makes: 16 brownies
Article Courtesy: April Peveteaux