Are McCormick Spices Gluten Free?
Excerpt of an email from McCormick Spices:
“Thank you for contacting us regarding your special allergies and intolerances to gluten. We understand that there are a growing number of people that have gluten concerns. We would like to take this opportunity to provide some additional information and let you know that there are many products available to you that will add the flavor you desire.
We often get the request for a list of our gluten-free products. We do not provide a list because we want you checking the ingredient statements of our products. McCormick can guarantee you the following:
1. All of our single ingredient spices are gluten-free. Our single ingredient spices are 100% pure, with nothing additional added to them.
2. All of our extracts are gluten-free. They are made with a synthetic Ethyl Alcohol, not a grain-based alcohol.
3. If our products have gluten in them, it will be listed clearly in the ingredient statement. We do not hide any allergens under “natural flavors” or “spices.” This pertains mainly to our Dry Seasoning mixes and some blends. An example is our Beef Stew Seasoning Mix. This contains gluten, and states, “Wheat Gluten,” in the ingredient statement.
4. McCormick goes a step further. If an ingredient is derived from wheat source, such as Maltodextrin, it will be listed as “Maltodextrin (WHEAT), in the ingredient statement.
5. McCormick follows good manufacturing practices at our plants and takes extra precautions to eliminate the possibility of mislabeling or cross-contamination.
If we can be of further assistance, please call us a 1-800-632-5847, Monday through Friday, 9:30AM to 5PM Eastern Time.”
The McCormick company stated verbally when called that they are very careful to make sure their processing lines are thoroughly cleaned between runs, but they do run the blends that contain gluten on the same lines as their other products .